Neiman Imaging Types of Services (NITOS) codes provide a variable that can be merged into datasets by HCPCS code to identify imaging procedures by modality and anatomic site. This new coding system augments the existing BETOS system for imaging focused studies, and was designed to be usable either in conjunction with or in lieu of BETOS for imaging analyses.
Each specific character in the NITOS four digit code indicates whether the procedure is: 1) invasive or non-invasive; 2) modality; 3) body region; and 4) focus area. For a detailed description for how NITOS was developed and can be used please see NITOS Mapping Methodology and our policy brief.
Please cite this data as “Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute Neiman Imaging Types of Service. http://www.neimanhpi.org/neiman-imaging-types-of-service-nitos/. Accessed: mm/dd/yyyy”
Download the HCPCS to NITOS code crosswalk
NITOS Version 4.0 (Released 01/06/2022; Updated 02/23/2022 to add CPT Code 72141)
NITOS Version 3.0 (Released 03/20/2020)
NITOS Version 2.01 (Released 10/30/2019)
NITOS Version 2.0 (Released 05/01/2019)
NITOS Version 1.01 (Released 04/25/2017)
NITOS Version 1.0 (Original 12/14/2015)
NITOS Update History
As HPCPS codes are deleted or added, we will also update the corresponding NITOS codes to reflect those changes.
NITOS Version 4.0 – Update (02/23/2022)
• Added CPT code 72141 (MRI neck spine w/o dye) which was inadvertently deleted in the 01/06/2022 version of NITOS 4.0.
NITOS Version 4.0 (01/06/2022)
• Updated NITOS codes using additional years and sources.
• HCPCS code 70496 (CT angiography head CT angiography, head CT angiography head) was revised from N326 (denoting a non-invasive CT scan performed on the head/neck region) to N316 (denoting a non-invasive CT scan performed on the brain).
• HCPCS codes 73500, 73510, 73520, 73530 (all representing x-ray exams of the hip) were changed from N774 (denoting a non-invasive radiography/fluoroscopy image performed on an extremity) to N764 (denoting a non-invasive radiography/fluoroscopy image performed on the abdomen/pelvis).
• The focus for HCPCS code 78615 (Cerebral vascular flow image) was changed from N518 (where “8” is not an existing focus) to N516 (where “6” denotes a Vascular focus).
NITOS Version 3.0 (03/20/2020)
• Updated NITOS codes
NITOS Version 2.01 (10/30/2019)
• This version of NITOS is valid only through 2017.
• Updated NITOS codes 77085 and 77086.
NITOS Version 2.0 (05/01/2019)
• Updated NITOS codes
• Dropped BETOS colum
NITOS Version 1.01 (04/25/2017)
• Removed five radiation oncology codes (77372, 77373, 77417, 77421, 77435)
• Reclassified code 72159 as N436
• Revised short descriptors for codes in HCPCS-NITOS crosswalk files that previously were listed with either no or multiple descriptors
Crosswalk of duplicate descriptors
NITOS Version 1.0 (12/14/2015)
• Initial release