Skip to press releases archive

The mission of the Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute® is to establish foundational evidence for health policy and radiology practice that promotes the effective and efficient use of health care resources and improves patient care.

July 11, 2024

Proposed Radiation Oncology Bundled Payments Produce Medicare Savings with Goal of Stabilizing Reimbursement

A new study by researchers from Mayo Clinic & the Neiman Institute demonstrates the impact on reimbursement of a value-based payment model, the Radiation Oncology Case Rate. A bipartisan bill introduced to Congress this May includes ROCR to protect access, reduce disparities and improve outcomes in cancer treatment. Read More

June 28, 2024

Imaging Market Share Analysis Shows 28% of Image Interpretation Performed by Non-Radiologists

Reston, VA – A new Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute study found that radiologists interpreted 72.1% of all imaging studies for Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries in 2022, with the remaining 27.9% performed by other types of clinicians. Market share varied by imaging modality; radiologists interpreted 97.3% of computed tomography (CT), 91.0% of magnetic resonance (MR), 76.6% Read More

June 20, 2024

The Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute Launches Cancer Equity Compass

The Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute announces the public launch of a new online tool that reveals the overlap between cancer disparities and social determinants of health using advanced heat maps of U.S. counties. The Cancer Equity Atlas can identify high-opportunity targets for policies and programs to achieve equitable health outcomes in underserved populations. Read More

June 5, 2024

Consolidation Patterns of Practices with Radiologists through 2023

A new Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute study found that from 2014 to 2023 the number of medical practices with affiliated radiologists decreased 14.7% even though the number of radiologists increased 17.3%. As such, the average number of radiologists per practice increased from 9.7 to 17.9 over the study. Read More

April 26, 2024

Continued Medicare Reimbursement Declines Could Threaten Access to Physicians

A new Neiman Institute study found that physician reimbursement per Medicare patient decreased 2.3% between 2005 and 2021 when accounting for inflation, despite a concurrent increase of 45.5% in physician services to each patient. These reimbursement trends varied widely by physician specialty. Read More

April 10, 2024

Low DXA Screening Rates Among Asian American Medicare Beneficiaries

A new study by researchers at NYU Langone Health, Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute found lower rates of osteoporosis screening among Asian American and other non-white Medicare beneficiaries in the U.S. when compared with the screening rate among white beneficiaries. Read More

April 3, 2024

Radiologists at Major Disadvantage in MIPS when Working in Radiology-Focused Practices, According to New Study

The latest Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute study shows that radiologists in radiology-only practices score significantly lower in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Merit-based Incentive Payment System in 2021.  Read More

March 28, 2024

New Study Finds a 67% Increase in Neurovascular Imaging Use for Headache and Dizziness in the Emergency Department

New research demonstrates that the use of CT angiography for patients with headache or dizziness increased dramatically over 5 years in the emergency department of a large medical center. Simultaneously the rate of positive findings on those same exams decreased. Read More

March 27, 2024

Imaging’s Share of Aggregate Healthcare Spending has Declined Since 2010

Medical imaging has previously been identified as a potential driver of U.S. healthcare spending growth. A study by the Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute evaluated the degree to which imaging has contributed to aggregate medical cost growth. Read More

March 8, 2024

Researchers Identify “Hidden” Interventional Radiologists in Data, Expanding Opportunities for Research

Seventy-six percent of interventional radiologists (IRs) identified using a new research method were mislabeled as diagnostic radiologists in Medicare data, according to the latest study from the Harvey L. Neiman Health Policy Institute (HPI), supported by the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR).  Read More